[ntp:questions] Kiss-O'-Death

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Jun 26 15:21:32 UTC 2008

Martin,

Good point. In the PTTI paper a few years back, mention was of a
university that repackaged source addresses for some 2000 campus hosts,
with result a humungus load on the server. The evolved reference
implementation would effectively deny service to almost all of them,
while maintaining fairness to other users. In other words, if the
minimum average headway was set at 64 s, one packet in 64 s would be
serviced and the KoD rate would be limited to one packet in 64 s,
regardless of load.

Dave