[ntp:questions] pool configuration directive on Windows

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Mar 10 20:02:53 UTC 2008

>>> In article <fr3gfa$p$1 at scrotar.nss.udel.edu>, "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu> writes:

David> While I don't maintain the changelog, it would seem a simple matter
David> to paste my hackers announcements to the changelog.

Dave,

The ChangeLog entries are, by design, short.  Under 1 line long.

The distribution process also produces a CommitLog, which contains the
details of every commit.  The CommitLog file is part of every rolled
tarball.

Since you do not use the revision control system, I commit your changes.
There are some problems with this approach:

- often your changes are part of an ongoing effort and I do not have
  sufficient information (or understanding) of the intricate details of
  what any given set of changes do, so I cannot easily identify exactly
  changes have been made for that particular -dev release.

- your "wrap up" email usually happens after the commit, and includes
  information that frequently spans a number of previous commits.

I will see what I can to do get your "wrap up" email messages added to the
CommitLog file.  This will probably mean that your wrap-up changes will be
in, say the ...p123 release, and when I incorporate your "wrap up" message
there will be a ...p124 release where the only difference between p123 and
p124 is that the latter includes the CommitLog file containing your "wrap
up" notes.

With the exception of your email messages that describe your changes, all of
the information Martin has asked for is in the CommitLog file.  But it can
be buried in a lot of other detail.

I'm open to suggestions on how to make improvements in this beast, and I
would prefer solutions that do not involve a "step backwards" in any areas.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!