[ntp:questions] 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd; Possible?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Mar 11 13:09:15 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-11, Maarten Wiltink <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote:

> "Steve Kostecke" <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote in message
>
>> John Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Now, is what I am trying to do feasible?
>>
>> One ntpd is all you need.
>
> I think you must be using a different definition of the word
> 'feasible' from everybody else.

Here's one:

| From WordNet (r) 2.0 (August 2003) [wn]:
|
|   feasible
|       adj : capable of being done with means at hand and circumstances
|             as they are [syn: {executable}, {practicable},
|             {viable}, {workable}]
|       adv : in a practicable manner; so as to be feasible [syn:
|             {practicably}]

> As a software guy, I've wondered before about the monolithic nature of
> the NTP package. Splitting it into a client and server part might make
> some people (think OpenBSD) very happy.

There is considerable overlap between an "NTP Client" and an "NTP
Server".

"NTP Clients" and "NTP Servers" both:

1. Poll time sources (e.g. "NTP Servers", ref-clocks)
2. Discipline the system clock
3. Utilize NTP Authentication

"NTP Servers" also:

1. Reply to polls from "NTP Clients" and other "NTP Servers"

> The objection when raised earlier was that the server may be asked for
> statistics about things that happen in the client; ISTM this could be
> solved.

By adding another layer of complexity ...

> Also, the much-sought feature of re-resolving dried up associations could
> be done from a cron job with ntpq/ntpdc. Determining for certain what
> configuration to use might be a problem.

A 're-resolve' command in ntpq would be useful.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>