[ntp:questions] SNTP server + ntpd 4.2.4 client

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Mar 25 14:47:57 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-25, Ryan Malayter <malayter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 7:21 am, David Woolley wrote:
>
>> Note that Microsfoft's "SNTP" implementation claims stratum 2, when
>> acting as an a server with an illegal time source.
>
> This is not true in Windows 2003 and newer. Considering that Windows
> 2000 sales ended in 2003, and mainstream support ended in 2005, I
> think your statement needs qualification.
>
> Windows Time Service (w32time) is an RFC-1305-compliant NTP (not
> SNTP!) implementation, and has been for 5 years or more.

We all now how long older versions of Windows remain in service well
past the EOL.

What _version_ of w32time is RFC-1305 compliant?

> Would we have the pool scheme in the development versions of ntpd now
> if OpenNTPD hadn't implemented it first?

Really? They did?

Are you sure that the person who wrote the pool configuration directive
code for the Reference Implementation of NTP pays any attention to
OpenNTPD?

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>