[ntp:questions] SNTP server + ntpd 4.2.4 client

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Tue Mar 25 16:24:02 UTC 2008

"Steve Kostecke" <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote in message
news:slrnfui44t.cui.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net...
> On 2008-03-25, Ryan Malayter <malayter at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Would we have the pool scheme in the development versions of ntpd
>> now if OpenNTPD hadn't implemented it first?
>
> Really? They did?

The NTP Pool was implemented at first as a bunch of public NTP servers,
with clever use of DNS to make it work. The point I'm trying to make is
that it worked before and without any NTP implementation knowing about
it.

It does work better when the NTP client is aware of the need to
re-resolve hostnames under certain circumstances, but those same
circumstances occur outside the pool, just not as often or as pressing.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink