[ntp:questions] difference between sntp and ntp server

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Mar 31 10:05:05 UTC 2008

Peter Sprenger wrote:

> a simple question: Is there a difference between a ntp server and a sntp
> server? I studied the RFC's, but found no evidence, that for the server
> side there are differences.

NTP servers are always (give or take version and permission
considerations) acceptable to SNTP clients.

An SNTP server behaves the same as a stratum 1, NTP server, supporting
only client/server and broadcast modes.  It must only be used where an
NTP server would be stratum 1 (i.e. early (pre-Windows 2003) versions of
w32time cannot legally act as servers).

Earlier version of the SNTP spec permitted more association modes.
Earlier versions didn't allowed impending leap seconds to be signalled.