[ntp:questions] difference between sntp and ntp server

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 31 13:39:54 UTC 2008

Peter Sprenger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a simple question: Is there a difference between a ntp server and a sntp
> server? I studied the RFC's, but found no evidence, that for the server
> side there are differences.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

If the SNTP server has a hardware reference clock, there is no
difference!  If the SNTP server is getting time from upstream network
servers, the differences between NTP and SNTP come into play.  The full
NTP has defenses against the horrible things that happen on a long
network path and SNTP does not.

Think "rtime" using the NPT packet format and higher resolution and you
are close to understanding SNTP.