[ntp:questions] high precision tracking: trying to understand sudden jumps

Heiko Gerstung heiko_removeme_.gerstung at meinberg.de
Mon Mar 31 14:53:43 UTC 2008

David Woolley schrieb:
> Bill Unruh wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, starlight at binnacle.cx wrote:
>>

> You appear to be quoting an off list reply with no indication of
> permission, although it is just possible that the email gateway
> forwarded it to email subscribers without forwarding it to the usenet
> group proper.
>
> Incidentally, what he's done is to run together the peers information
> from many machines, so there is only one CDMA source.  On the other
> hand, it doesn't look like it is a CDMA appliance, or if it is, it has
> been badly implemented, as I would not expect to see a local clock
> driver on an appliance device.

We have that in our NTP appliances as well. You can configure it to any stratum
level you want and it is used as a last resort fallback in case the receiver
lost reception and the (also configurable) so-called trust time has passed
without the signal coming back. This results in the time server replying with
stratum 12 (for example) after a while and ensures that everybody has the same
time, although it might be wrong. If a user does not want that, they can simply
set the local clock stratum to 15 and the server will not be accepted anymore.

Can you please let me know why you consider this a "bad implementation"?

Regards,
  Heiko