[ntp:questions] NNTP server causing large jumps in time

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri May 2 15:09:43 UTC 2008

> Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 07:37:32 -0500
> From: "Ryan Malayter" <malayter at gmail.com>
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.org
>

> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote:
>
> > You should always append iburst to your server lines.
>
> Aussuming that were true, why isn't iburst the default? You would then
> of course have to add "noiburst" to turn it off...

I suspect it is because iburst is relatively new and changing defaults is
something that is usually done with great deliberation and only after
people are REALLY sure that it is the right answer, especially when it
only results in an improvement in startup sync and does not fix anything
that was failing.

I can't think of cases where 'iburst' would break things, though some
special cases might be better off without it, but for 'normal'
configurations using the network to chime with servers. I would not use
it on a reference clock, but I have not given a lot of thought to what
the effect of this might be.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)