[ntp:questions] NTP Cheat Sheet

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed May 7 20:29:46 UTC 2008

> From: "David L. Mills" <mills at udel.edu>
> Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 19:51:20 +0000
> Sender: questions-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.ntp.org
>

> Heiko,
>
> Be careful when making generalizations about refclocks. Some, including
> the Spectracom, Austron, Traconex, TrueTime and others using the median
> filter will not workproperly at other than default poll. Same for the
> modem and audio drivers.

I assume that this is driver, not device specific.

server 127.127.5.1 prefer minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.5.1 refid CDMA
fudge 127.127.5.1 time1 .010
server 127.127.22.1 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.22.1 flag3 1

What about the PPS driver when used with one of these? I use EndRun CDMA
clocks emulating TrueTime with PPS and EndRun recommends a MINPOLL and
MAXPOLL of 4. Is that bad advice in such a configuration? If it is
significant, I use FreeBSD on all of my ntp servers.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)