[ntp:questions] NTP and Windows Vista

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Wed May 28 06:50:29 UTC 2008

Folks,

Has anyone made any progress with taming NTP on Windows Vista yet?  I have
this version basically running:

  ntpd 4.2.4p3 at 1.1502-foehr-o Jul 25 12:53:15 (UTC+02:00) 2007  (7)

but the timekeeping is nothing like as good as on XP or Windows 2000.
Compare PC Gemini with the others here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

One thing I did note, and should have checked earlier, was that the
W32Time service was still running, and of course it should not be.
Perhaps the Meinberg installer didn't have enough rights to disable it, as
I requested?  Anyway, I have now disabled it (at 0500 UTC on Tuesday May
27) and confirmed that it's not running, but the timekeeping seems just as
bad:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/gemini_ntp.html

The periodic nature of the offset almost suggests to me some sort of beat
frequency - as if two things were trying to control the clock.  With
Process Explorer, NTPD is running at High priority (13).  It would be
great to put "Vista" as another OS where NTP works.

Thanks,
David