[ntp:questions] NTP phase lock loop inputs and outputs?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri May 30 15:28:30 UTC 2008

Bruce,

Judah and I have come around the issue of white/flicker frequency noise
with cold rocks (grotty computer oscillators). Determining accurate
Allan deviation plots is something of a black art and at hazard to
insiduous resonances. I found with careful technique, as documented in
previous papers and my book, that phase noise and frequency noise
characteristics of cold rocks are generally separable, mainly because
the flicker noise is so bad. Therefore, the intersection of the phase
characteristic and frequency characteristic is generally well defined,
which I call the Allan intercept. This is why the NTP discipline is
mainly responsive to phase noise below the intercept and frequency noise
above.

Dave