[ntp:questions] Stand Alone Orphan Mode Server (Was: Re: ntp clients out of sync with server)

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sun Nov 30 21:40:11 UTC 2008

On 2008-11-24, Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2008-10-28, naihong at gmail.com <naihong at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a test environment,
>> Server(WinXP2,Meinberg ntp-4.2.4p5)
>> Clients C1(XP2,ntp-4.2.4p5)  C2(Vista-64,ntp-4.2.4p5)
>> C3(CentOS5.2,ntp-4.2.2p1)
>
> No current NTP-stable release (i.e. up to 4.2.4p5) is usable as a Stand
> Alone Orphan Mode Server.

I must correct this statment.

NTP stable <= 4.2.4p5 and NTP dev <= 4.2.5p100 will not function
properly as a Stand Alone Orphan Mode Server* unless some other time
source is configured in ntp.conf. This time source does not need to
exist, but it does need to be "configured".

When an ntpd of the versions stated above is started up _without_ a
configured "server" the refid never leaves .INIT. and the stratum is
fixed as 16 and the rootdispersion continues to increase as ntpd runs.

When an ntpd of the versions stated above is started up _with_ a
configured (but unreachable) "server" the refid is correctly set to
127.0.0.1 and the stratum is set as specified on the "tos orphan" line
and the rootdispersion stays at an acceptable level. In my tests with
4.2.2p4 the rootdispersion would start at 0 and gradually increase to 15
before resetting to 0.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>