[ntp:questions] On NTP server, how to check offset between client and NTP server?

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Fri Oct 10 16:46:21 UTC 2008

chowalit.lab at gmail.com (chowalit.lab Chowalit Lab Linux) writes:

>Dear Unruh and All
>     Sorry for my english, It make you confuse. So I will explain
>about my system.

>   -  I have NTP server.
>   -  NTP server install on CentOS.
>   -  This NTP server serve client to sync time.
>   -  My clients are windows XP, Windows 2003, Linux.

>      My question:
>   -  How to check the different time between NTP server and client on
>NTP server side.

Are the clients running ntp? If they are
ntpq -p name.of.client
will tell you what the offset was on the last query they made to the
server.

If they are not, then I do not know.
Now if they are running ntp they are trying their best ( as defined by the
ntp algorithm) to keep their time equal to the server's. Why do you want to
know?