[ntp:questions] "ntpd -q" is slow compared to ntpdate

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Oct 16 21:40:15 UTC 2008

Mohit Aron wrote:

> The issue is that when new machines are added to the cluster, their times
> might be completely out of whack. So hwclock can in general not be relied
> upon. Also, we use VMware based virtual machines for internal testing - such
> machines can't keep their hwclock ticking while they are powered down.

VMWare plays tricks with time and the only way of maintaining sensible
time on a guest is to synchronise the host and then use VMWare tools.
Even then, I seem to remember, that only the simulated hardware clock
maintains true time; the timer ticks can be grouped and can slow down or
speed up, in the short term.

Do not run ntpd, or chrony, on a VMWare guest.