[ntp:questions] "ntpd -q" is slow compared to ntpdate

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Oct 18 06:10:30 UTC 2008

>>> In article <976d969e0810151035m37ff5751g70440902bc0b98b1 at mail.gmail.com>, extproxy at gmail.com (Mohit Aron) writes:

>> If you run ntp -g, it WILL roughly synchronize it in exactly the same way
>> as ntpd -g -q does. The -q does nothing to affect the behaviour of ntp,
>> except once it first sets the clock, it exits.

Mohit> Yes, I realize that. However, it does mean that the time will be
Mohit> synchronized after a long time - the machine needs to do lots of
Mohit> startup stuff when it starts and its essential that the time be
Mohit> approximately correct when this happens.

See http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/StartingNTP

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!