[ntp:questions] list posts in UTF-8

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 22:46:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Rob van der Putten <rob at sput.nl> wrote:

> But your post doesn't;
> The Content-type is text/plain; charset="windows-1252". The content
> encoding is 7bit.
> Something is seriously broken.

It certainly is, considering my message was a reply to your UTF-8
message. Gmail apparently sends *new* messages as UTF-8, but replied
to your UTF-8 with charset="windows-1252". That is seriously broken
behavior on Gmail's part.

However, replies to other UTF-8 messages in Gmail (email not
NNTP-to-email such as yours) seem to use UTF-8 just fine. Maybe the
huge stream of headers confused Gmail... the content-type header was
on line #61 in your post!

I'll have to check to see if I get the same behavior from Thunderbird.

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote:
>> Is this just a setting that could to be changed on the email-to-NNTP
>> gateway?
>
> It is not that simple.

Apparently not, based on the variety of behaviors people have
reported. I'm sorry I brought it up, and will try to restrict myself
to the US-ASCII character set.
--
RPM