[ntp:questions] ntp.conf location on Windows

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 13:36:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:15 AM, Martin Burnicki
<martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> wrote:
> Do you have a pointer where these locations are specified by Microsoft?

It's part of the "Certified for Windows XXX" for each OS version  I believe.

Here is an MSDN blog post that seems to clarify this particular case a
bit, with some references:
http://blogs.msdn.com/amitava/archive/2007/07/16/certified-for-windows-vista-logo-test-case-faq-test-case-15.aspx

It seems NTP config files should go into %ALLUSERSPROFILE% or into the
service account's local application settings directories.

I imagine it is also documented in the Platform SDK as well, although
I have never dug deep into that.

> This would not only affect the config file but also the location of the
> drift file and optionally the log files.
>
> IIRC the current location below %PROGRAMFILES% had been chosen after a
> discussion about the time when our first GUI installer was released.
>
> Of course this can be discussed again and changed in future versions.
>
> Martin
> --
> Martin Burnicki
>
> Meinberg Funkuhren