[ntp:questions] NTP and SNTP in the end, give me precision of 1ms?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sun Sep 14 03:47:12 UTC 2008

>There is nothing per se that makes this system impossible to deliver 1ms.
>Of course it depends of where those clients are-- if they are at the bottom
>of the sea communicating with 1bd/sec ultralow frequency radio, you will
>not get 1ms precision.

What's wrong with a (very) slow link?  As long as there aren't any
queueing delays, the delay should be symmetric in both directions
and I'd expect ntpd to work OK.

Does 1 bd/sec overflow some of ntpd's assumptions?  Would it need
some minpoll tweaking?

Or maybe I should ask:  How slow a link is still useful?