[ntp:questions] broadcast client

rochertov at gmail.com rochertov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 22:59:31 UTC 2008

Hello,
  I have a question regarding broadcast mode.  I have 6 machines
synchronizing with the same ntp server.  That server uses uses a local
ntp displined clock (we are looking into a GPS one).  The machines are
connected via 1 Gbps switch.  The network is lightly loaded and I
configured the clients as such

server ntp minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 iburst

Howerver, I notice that two clients have a relatively large offset
from the ntp server (greater than 100 micro-seconds according to "ntpq
-p").  I considered setting the server into broadcast mode and
enabling broadcastclient on the clients to avoid 6 machines polling
the same server every 16 seconds.  I have two questions regarding
this.  What is the syntax for setting the frequency of broadcasts on
the server?  Also, how can I check the approximate time offset between
the clients and the server?  Should I then peer each client with the
ntp server and rely on broadcast messages for time synchronization?

Thanks