[ntp:questions] Odd (mis)behavior when reference clock fails

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Sep 26 07:29:34 UTC 2008

>Does it really make sense to get microsecond resolution on the glitches.

I doubt if whatever the UPS is using for an A/D is good for microseconds.

I've thought of using a wall-wart and some dividers to feed an audio
input channel.  That would probably be good for 10s of microseconds.

I'm saving that for when I have lots of spare time.

>Try puttin in a microsleep into your routine to see if that solves the
>clock problem. It is possible that the reading of the ups is done via some
>sort of badly written interrupt routine which holds open the interrupts too
>long. It is however a bit weird I will admit.

I talk to the UPS over a serial port.  I suppose I could try
a USB to serial gizmo.

Another idea is to make an echo plug and some software that sends
stuff to itself and see what that does on various systems.