[ntp:questions] ntp stratum

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 12:20:52 UTC 2008

stephaneguedon wrote:
[]
> sorry... I know I am in stratum 3, because all servers I use are at
> least in stratum 2 (refer to the list from the cru for example).

No. you don't.  You /hope/ and /expect/ that you will be at stratum 3,
because you /hope/ that all the servers you sync to will be at stratum 2.
It may be that you loose connection to the servers, and then you would not
be stratum 3, or in the unlikely event that all your connected servers go
a higher stratum.

I appreciate that you are trying to be at stratum 3, so I am being a
little pedantic.

Cheers,
David