[ntp:questions] Max time adjustment

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Sep 30 20:47:38 UTC 2008

Gabrie wrote:
> Our Active Directory admin wants to start syncing time with our ESX hosts.
> But he has one requirement, he wants me to limit the clock adjustment to max
> 1 hour. So if our ESX host has an incorrect time compared to the ntp server,
> the ESX host should not correct it if it is off more then one hour.
>
> Which ntp setting can I use for this?

Don't use -g.  ntpd will then abort if one tries to change the time by
more than 1000 seconds.  I.E., by default, ntpd will not allow a large
correction.

In the unlikely event that you really do want to tolerate up to 1 hour
(I imagine you would at least want reduce this by twice the maximum
assumed manual setting error), you would use "tinker panic 3600", I
believe.  Please read the health warnings about tinker.