[ntp:questions] ntpd service doesn't connect to remote servers on Windows XP

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Thu Apr 2 06:17:56 UTC 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> dstport=123, leap=11, stratum=16, precision=-20, rootdelay=0.000,
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> The server is unsynchronised.  I don't know how ntpdate worked.
> It doesn't seem to be the one against which you ran ntpdate; that had
> a public address.

Point taken, but running ntpdate -q against one of the pool servers
produced the same results.  It's exactly the point now that, with this
system, ntpdate.exe works from the command-line, but ntpd.exe doesn't work
when run as a service.  I'm going to get the user to try running ntpd.exe
interactively to see whether it works that way, and then the question is
what would stop a Windows service from sending and receiving NTP packets.

Thanks for your help so far.

Cheers,
David