[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Apr 6 22:58:17 UTC 2009

On 2009-04-06, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>> On 2009-04-02, sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> When all the 7 nodes have the same config, using "orphan stratum 6"
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean by:
>
> I believe he means (give or take actual syntax).

You elided the sentence where the OP talked about primary/secondary
something.

> Using broadcast does seem to make sense if you are trying to emulate
> timed using orphan mode.  Arguably, he should just use timed.

The advantage to using any mode which supports automatic server
discovery is that you don't need to provide each Orphan group member
with the host names / ip-addresses of all of the other Orphans.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>