[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Apr 7 01:53:00 UTC 2009

On 2009-04-06, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> "Sync" is usually defined as "calculating the offset between a clock and
>> a reference standard, stepping or initiating a slew to correct the
>
> I doubt that many would consider the initiation of a slew as being
> synchronised.  I would suggest most people

s/most people/some people/

> would define synchronised as being when one achieves a high confidence
> that the error will not subsequently exceed their required maximum
> error, in the short term and will have a very low proportion of times
> where it will in the long term.

It all depends on your application. One big problem in this forum is
that too many participants assume that everyone is operating at the
extremes.

If your application demands ultra high quality time you will protect
your master clock(s) with an appropriate level of redundancy, high
quality oscillators, back-up power systems, etc. Otherwise you'll have
to wait until the offset is lost in the noise (however long that takes)
after a restart.

Most users, though, consider their clocks to be "synced" when they see
the asterisk indicating that ntpd has selected a sys_peer.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>