[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 7 07:14:38 UTC 2009

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2009-04-06, sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com <sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> I've conducted extensive testing with Orphan Mode and never had to add
> a tos mindist command.

He has that because Dr Mills has just told him he needs it.

>> I beleive the "time island" concept will work fine
>
> The nodes will all be chasing whichever clock is chosen as the master.
>
>> and time-sync will happen regardless of ANY time set in ALL the nodes
>> running NTP service.
>
> Why would you be changing the clock on systems which are running ntpd?

I don't think he meant that.  I think he meant that it should settle on
a common time regardless of how far off the individual clocks were hen
the system started.  (I'm not sure what happens if you introduce a new
machine.  The existing orphans do need to use intersection rules here,
even though starting orphans mustn't.)

> What is the purpose of broadcasting on two different addresses?

I think the machines are dual homed, for redundancy.