[ntp:questions] query on NTP - ORPHAN MODE

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Apr 20 12:30:29 UTC 2009

On 2009-04-20, sheikdawoodrajali at gmail.com wrote:

> On Apr 19, 1:41 pm, Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> On 2009-04-19, sheikdawoodraj... at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > I am testing NTP - ORPHAN mode in Windows XP using 6 nodes in the
>> > n/w.
>>
>> What version of NTP are you using?
>
> I am using NTPv4.2.4p5 version.

All ntp-4.2.4 releases and the early ntp-4.2.5 releases (before ~p120)
are not suitable for long term Orphan mode "time islands".

If you are using on of these versions you should have one machine on
your LAN configured with the Undisciplined Local Clock as a "time
source."

> Will development version a STABLE one to use?

Are you asking "is the development release stable enough to use"?

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>