[ntp:questions] NTP stops when client address changes?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Aug 6 11:34:30 UTC 2009

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:Qlxem.64507$OO7.50218 at text.news.virginmedia.com...

[...]
> However, why would the communication fail when the client address
> changed? I thought that the sending address was part of any UDP packet,
> so that if the client address changed, things should carry on working.
> Would NTP normally stop working like this, or is there something in
> the user's network configuration which isn't quite right?  This isn't an
> IT guru, just a regular Windows user connecting to his regular ISP via
> an ADSL modem.....

It may be the local socket that stops working when the network interface
changes underneath it. Is this a one-machine actual modem, as opposed to
the more usual router? I'd expect the latter to involve NAT and thus
shield its clients from the specific bit that changes. But a dedicated
modem connection might have this exact effect.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink