[ntp:questions] NTP stops when client address changes?

phil pharwood at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 7 08:19:52 UTC 2009

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:h%Qem.64818$OO7.26887 at text.news.virginmedia.com...
> phil wrote:
> []
>> You can also give the PC a fixed IP address and not worry about DHCP
>> or lease time.
>> Phil
>
> Yes, in this particular application that would be an excellent solution,
> and one I use myself.  But here, we are dealing with non-computer people,
> and just getting them to add the port-forwarding to their router (for the
> application, not NTP) is pain enough.  Having to get them to reconfigure
> the router for fixed IPs is probablt a little too far!
>
> Cheers,
> David

David,
The implication is this is a simple standalone pc using a home-style router.
That be the case, no port forwarding is required. There should be no change
required in the router settings with the use of the fixed IP providing the
computer ip and subnet is properly set. You should be able to point the dns
of the fixed ip pc to the ip of the router and it work fine.

It's either that (fixed ip) or just use a simple time program that you don't
have to fuss with like tardis or some generic program to grab ntp time.

By the way, ntp servers are not worth a flip if the pc you are running it on
is turned on/off daily.

Phil