[ntp:questions] NTP will not communicate with IPv6 Host.

Brian Szmyd brian.szmyd at quantum.com
Mon Aug 17 22:31:51 UTC 2009

All,

I have been having an issue with getting a product I'm working on to use
NTP in our testing laboratory's IPv6 network. I've been on the IRC
channel for some time without success.

The product uses Linux 2.6.27-13 with NTP 4.2.4p5. I'm trying to
synchronize it to an IPv6 host. I have other machines in the lab that can
do this successfully indicating the upstream peer is working. I can ping6
the host without issue and have checked that there is no firewall
preventing comm.

I've pasted the output of starting ntpd with '-dd' and my configuration
file here: http://ntp.pastebin.com/d5b8b2be8

I have also sniffed all the traffic in and out of the primary interface
and do not see any between this host and upstream peer when starting
ntpd...it's as if it's just ignoring all ipv6 entries (as ipv4 works). I
have also moved this host to a different network where it was able to
synchronize to an ipv6 peer without issue, so there is something specific
to this environment.

Any suggestions for things to look at would be greatly appreciated!

::: Brian Szmyd : Quantum Corporation : brian.szmyd at quantum.com