[ntp:questions] "No association ID's returned" after a period of time

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:25:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Is there some meaningful debug (-d/-D) flags I could enable to see why
> it loses associations?

Yes, but it's like drinking from a firehose.  Assuming your ntpd was
built with debugging support (it is by default), it understands -d to
increase the debug verbosity by one, and -D2 (for example) to set it
directly to level 2.  If you want to be pretty sure you'll get it the
first time, use -D4, if you want to keep the spew a bit more
manageable for your first try, I suggest -D2.  Invoke ntpd from a
shell with the same arguments it is normally given and add -D_ or -dd
or -dddd, and tack on an output redirection such as >ntptrace.log or |
tee ntptrace.log to see the output live as well.

Contrary to advice you may receive, there is no reason to -l stdout
(redirect logging from syslog to standard output) as the debugging
output already includes copies of all logged messages.

Cheers,
Dave Hart