[ntp:questions] CDMA Wireless Card as NTP source

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 21:06:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM, rhuddusa<rhuddusa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I should have mentioned in my original post that I've seen
> those, and was looking to role my own :) for less than 100$

I assume you're talking about one of the Sprint/Verizon/whatever
mobile broadband cards.

Like this:
http://www.sierrawireless.com/product/pccard.aspx

I have a similar device. I very much doubt if the detailed technical
specifications are available, because if they were, these things would
actually work under Linux. Mine doesn't have a Linux driver available
anywhere as far as I can tell; it only works under Windows.

Even if the specs are available, I very much doubt that these devices
are designed to output timestamps at all (or at least timestamps of
any quality).

You would probably be better off building a simple radio receiver and
attempting to decode the time signal directly with custom code. You
could try to modify NTP's built-in WWVB radio decoding driver to
decode the CDMA signal. Not an easy task. Which is why EndRun can
command good money for their product.

--
RPM