[ntp:questions] Remaining synced on an unsynchronised peer?

michael.buetow at comsoft.de michael.buetow at comsoft.de
Tue Dec 1 19:27:27 UTC 2009

I found a comment in the clustering algorithm of clock_select (current
stable ntp-4.2.4p7) which I presume could have something to do with
this (if the algorithm truly follows it):

/*
 * Now, vote outlyers off the island by select jitter weighted
 * by root distance. Continue voting as long as there are more
 * than sys_minclock survivors and the minimum select jitter is
 * greater than the maximum peer jitter. Stop if we are about to
 * discard a TRUE or PREFER  peer, who of course has the
 * immunity idol.
 */

So, a PREFER peer (in my case ntp1) might prevent the kicking-out of
the partner symmetric peer, and after that
"all survivors are eligible" .

If I am I seeing this right, I think it's a bug in the way that
"prefer" works.