[ntp:questions] Win2k3 Server as NTP server?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Dec 3 10:56:12 UTC 2009

Why Tea wrote:
> Can Windows 2003 server be used as an NTP server
> within an organization? The info from Wikipedia seems
> to suggest NO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol).

Hm, the Wikipedia article explicitely mentions that ntpd *can* be used under
Windows:
--- <quote from wikipedia> ---
The reference implementation of NTP can be used on Microsoft Windows
systems.
--- </quote> ---

There is no reason why ntpd should not work correcty on Windows Server 2003.

> Did anybody have any experience with running an NTP
> server on a Windows server? Please share your
> experience. Thanks.

IMO care must be taken if ntpd shall run on a domain controller. Some weeks
ago I've tried to start a discussion about possible problems if ntpd
replaces w32time. Unfortunately there've been only a few replies via the
NTP questions mailing list which never made it to the news group, even
though the questions mailing list should be gatewayed to the news group.

So please see the questions mailing list archive for details:
https://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2009-August/024061.html

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki