[ntp:questions] Remaining synced on an unsynchronised peer?

michael.buetow at comsoft.de michael.buetow at comsoft.de
Thu Dec 3 19:07:24 UTC 2009

On Dec 3, 7:16 pm, unruh <un... at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Apparently ntp has a command option called noselect, which tells ntp
> never to select that host as a source. It is useful for using A to keep
> track of B by periodically sending B packets to see what B's time is,but
> never to use it as a source. It sounds like that is what you want. (I
> have heard this as a rumour in a chrony discussion, so will have to let
> you look up the details-- sorry)

I don't think that's will help me here (but thanks for pointing out
this option - I also didn't know about it).

My host1/host2 can independently lose touch with their external
sources, in which case I want the one that still has outside
reachability to be used as time source for its partner (symmetric
peer).
And the rest of my "server" definitions are external servers which I
definitely do want to sync from too. Only that one of them shall be
preferred.