[ntp:questions] help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Fri Dec 4 15:34:25 UTC 2009

"Dave Baxter" <spam at goes.nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.2582f2d76a9bb78e989699 at news.btopenworld.com...
[]
> Hi...
>
> First, thanks for the direct email, I'll look at things in detail again
> this evening/over the weekend.
[]
> Your sumizing above, is exactly what I'd like to do, idealy all on one
> physical box if posible.  But as elsewhere, I'm not haveing much success
> stitching it all together on a box of its own at present.   The latest
> being that the 'Reg' command, usd by Dave Hart's serialpps install batch
> file, does not exist on Win2k!  (XP and later only I think.)  Oh well.
[]
> Regards to all, and thanks for being tolerant.
>
> Dave Baxter.

Dave,

As I mentioned in the private e-mail, I suggest you don't bother with the
PPS DLL stuff until after everything else is working, because when I
tested it although you could see a noticeable improvement in the jitter
level as reported by NTP, the offsets seemed to be very similar with and
without the kernel-mode stuff.  See:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html#PPSAPI_DLLS

I accept that if the system was more heavily loaded the results might be
different, though.

Hope the head cold soon clears!

73,
David