[ntp:questions] Win2k3 Server as NTP server?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Mon Dec 7 04:14:17 UTC 2009

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> Why Tea wrote:
>> Can Windows 2003 server be used as an NTP server
>> within an organization? The info from Wikipedia seems
>> to suggest NO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol).
>
> Hm, the Wikipedia article explicitely mentions that ntpd *can* be used under
> Windows:
> --- <quote from wikipedia> ---
> The reference implementation of NTP can be used on Microsoft Windows
> systems.
> --- </quote> ---
>
> There is no reason why ntpd should not work correcty on Windows Server 2003.
>
>> Did anybody have any experience with running an NTP
>> server on a Windows server? Please share your
>> experience. Thanks.
>
> IMO care must be taken if ntpd shall run on a domain controller. Some weeks
> ago I've tried to start a discussion about possible problems if ntpd
> replaces w32time. Unfortunately there've been only a few replies via the
> NTP questions mailing list which never made it to the news group, even
> though the questions mailing list should be gatewayed to the news group.
>
> So please see the questions mailing list archive for details:
> https://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2009-August/024061.html
>
> Martin

Martin,

You can indeed run the reference implementation of NTP instead of
w32time on a Windows Domain Controller and I am in fact doing that (as I
mentioned in a previous message). However the one issue you might have
is that the reference implementation does not provide MSNTP
authentication except on a Samba server which does not run on Windows
and in fact the Samba authentication customization is not designed to
run on Windows. As long as you don't care about that (I don't) then
there's no problem.

Danny

believed to be clean.