[ntp:questions] help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS

Dave Baxter spam at goes.nowhere.com
Mon Dec 7 14:00:49 UTC 2009

Subject: Re: help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS
From: Dave Baxter <g8kbv at nospam.uko2.co.uk>

In article <5_9Sm.11792$Ym4.5933 at text.news.virginmedia.com>, david-
taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid says...

> "Dave Baxter" <spam at goes.nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.2582f2d76a9bb78e989699 at news.btopenworld.com...
> []
> > Hi...
> >
> > First, thanks for the direct email, I'll look at things in detail again
> > this evening/over the weekend.
> []
> > Your sumizing above, is exactly what I'd like to do, idealy all on one
> > physical box if posible.  But as elsewhere, I'm not haveing much success
> > stitching it all together on a box of its own at present.   The latest
> > being that the 'Reg' command, usd by Dave Hart's serialpps install batch
> > file, does not exist on Win2k!  (XP and later only I think.)  Oh well.
> []
> > Regards to all, and thanks for being tolerant.
> >
> > Dave Baxter.
>
> Dave,
>
> As I mentioned in the private e-mail, I suggest you don't bother with the
> PPS DLL stuff until after everything else is working, because when I
> tested it although you could see a noticeable improvement in the jitter
> level as reported by NTP, the offsets seemed to be very similar with and
> without the kernel-mode stuff.  See:
>
>   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html#PPSAPI_DLLS
>
> I accept that if the system was more heavily loaded the results might be
> different, though.
>
> Hope the head cold soon clears!
>
> 73,
> David

Hi again.

Well, after spending a lot if time reading (while sniffing) again, and
restarting from zero (again!)  I seem to have the Meinberg Windows port
of NTPD etc working as a local Stratum 3 server on my LAN.  From that
you will note I have not yet got the GPS hooked up, but I have installed
all Dave Hart's code to (hopefully) enable PPS support when I get to do
that.

I've also made a note to configure the GPS to only output the GPRMC
sentence, shame, as I was hoping to share the other info with some other
app's, via VSPE (by Eterlogic) or GPS-Gate (by Franson.)  I have other
GPS RX's though, so no real problem, they dont use much energy.

I have also pointed Faros to this new local NTP server, and the server
is the only "thing" that now "goes out" and gets it's synch from the
'net (uk ntp pool)  So my public "NTP Footprint" has hopefully srunk
somewhat.

Faros seems very happy too, so a good result just getting this far.

At the moment, all the NTP server stuff is on a seperate (more or less
dedicated to NTP, running Win2k) machine to the one running Faros, but
as my experience with all this improves, I will eventualy put it all on
one physical machine.

My ISP have done yet another huge re-arangement with their network, but
at present what effect that will have on the 'net based NTP service I
don't know, but whatever, I'm well on the road now to becoming NTP "self
sufficent" as it were.

Many thanks to all here for their advice and support with all this.
Very much appreciated I can tell you!

I will probably be back when I get the GPS RX sorted an reconnected.

Thanks again so far.

Best Regards to All.