[ntp:questions] One last release candidate (in name only) and a new -stable

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 01:46:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 00:20 UTC, Frank Wayne wrote:
> David Hart wrote:
>> I have uploaded x86 Windows binaries for 4.2.6 to my website.
>
> FYI, I downloaded the non-debug 4.2.6 binaries from your website and replaced the
> 4.2.4p7 Meinberg binaries on one of my Windows 2003 R2 x86 servers. When I
> started the service, it pegged my (single-core) Pentium 4 CPU and made the UI
> completely non-responsive. I couldn't even get Task Manager to respond. I had to
> power down manually and then started safe mode to copy the old binaries back.
>
> Are there any special requirements for the binary you compiled?

I guess so, based on your experience.  I'm using the same binaries on
ntp.davehart.net, running ws2003 on x86 as well.  The libeay32.dll is
from the prebuilt 0.9.8j package for Windows:

I'd like to understand what's going wrong for you.  With suitable
privilege, ntpd runs at realtime priority and if it gets into a
CPU-bound knot, it is expected it would make the rest of the machine
unusuable as you experienced.  Typically, it uses very little CPU and
it appears you've uncovered a bug.  You might try running the debug
binary interactively from an administrator command prompt with tracing
enabled (by adding -D2 to the command line, for example).  If it
reproduces, the repeating output or the last few lines before the hang
might finger the culprit.

Cheers,
Dave Hart