[ntp:questions] One last release candidate (in name only) and a new -stable

G8KBV g8kbv at nospam-uko2.co.uk
Sat Dec 12 20:52:03 UTC 2009

In article <eUPUm.14607$Ym4.3999 at text.news.virginmedia.com>, david-
taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid says...

> "G8KBV" <> wrote in message
> news:MPG.258dc4812a1f0c84989680 at news.demon.co.uk...
> []
> > Hi.
> >
> > Can you confirm (or otherwise) the baudrate I need to set my GPS16LVC
> > to, to work correctly with Dave Hart's binaries on Windows?  I know the
> > default NMEA rate is 4800 (I think) but I want to be sure on this, if
> > just to remove one variable for the next stage of my master plan.  Once
> > I've found a "happy place" to site the GPS receiver itself.
> >
> > Also, how do all the various binaries in the serialpps-yyyymmdd.zip
> > files work together, or have I missed a document download somewhere?
> >
> > The patched NTPD binaries continue to work OK lan/wan synched at the
> > moment.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Dave Baxter.
>
> Dave,
>
> I have my GPS18 LVCs set to 4800 baud for Dave Hart's Windows version.  I
> don't know whether they will work with NTP at other rates.
>
> Serial PPS - I can't be sure what documentation is included - I thought
> there was enough.  The serialpps.sys files are functional replacements for
> the serial.sys driver supplied with Windows, there are both 32-bit and two
> 64-bit versions provided.  These live along alongside the existing
> serial.sys drivers, and a registry edit determines which is loaded at boot
> time.  You can swap back just by reverting the registry edit.  Batch files
> are provided to help with the registry edit.
>
> There is only one version of the DLL (32-bit), and ntpd.exe will try to
> call that DLL if a certain environment variable is set.  Dave hart wrote:
>
> ________________________________
> There's a new .dll there which ntpd currently finds by way of environment
> variable PPSAPI_DLLS.  If you put it in the same directory as ntpd.exe,
> this should work
>
> PPSAPI_DLLS=serialpps-ppsapi-provider.dll
>
> you can also use a path:
>
> PPSAPI_DLLS=c:\serialpps\serialpps-ppsapi-provider.dll
>
> Keeping it out of the ntpd.exe directory avoids having it stepped on by

Hi David..

OK on all that (4800 bd etc)  I too at the moment run NTPD etc on a
"lightly loaded" machine.  P4 1G 512Meg, not a lot else running other
than the Win 2k system.  & I've got the reg' edited according to the
location of the serialpps-ppsapi-provider.dll OK too.

Have to say, that even just as a intermediary, the time keeping
performance of the system as a whole with a local ntp server, is vastly
superior than letting it all sync to external servers via the web.  I
guess the time keeping algorithms in NTPD are somewhat more effecitve
than those in Faros itself.

All the best, hope to have more good news soon.

Dave Baxter.