[ntp:questions] Help with reference identifier for stratum 2 version 4.

Poster Matt postermatt at no_spam_for_me.org
Sat Dec 12 22:03:08 UTC 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> Poster Matt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've written a C# class to handle communications with a SNTP server,
>> mainly as a learning exercise. It is working perfectly except for one
>> aspect which has confused me. That is the reference identifier as it
>> is used by secondary servers and using version 4.
>
> It's an opaque hash of the identity of the server's upstream server. New
> code is not supposed to put any further meaning on it.

Thanks David. But...

Then why does RFC 2030 say the reference identifier "contains the low order
32 bits of the last transmit timestamp received from the synchronization
source."