[ntp:questions] Win2k3 Server as NTP server?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Dec 14 14:11:19 UTC 2009

Hi Danny,

just stumbled across your email in one of my email folders, but I didn't see
your reply on the news servers. So once again, looks likes emails to the
questions list are not gatewayed to the news group.

Danny Mayer wrote:
> You can indeed run the reference implementation of NTP instead of
> w32time on a Windows Domain Controller and I am in fact doing that (as I
> mentioned in a previous message).

Yes, but what about the domain members? If you install ntpd on them and
configure them correctly I'd expect them to work properly.

However, we have customers with a huge number of clients. In fact, I'd expect
that especially installations with many clients run a domain, simply to
reduce administrator efforts.

I've often heard those guys don't want to install ntpd on every client simply
because they do not want to touch each individual client.

> However the one issue you might have
> is that the reference implementation does not provide MSNTP
> authentication except on a Samba server which does not run on Windows
> and in fact the Samba authentication customization is not designed to
> run on Windows. As long as you don't care about that (I don't) then
> there's no problem.

Yes, that's even kind of funny: ntpd supports MS-style authentication, but
only on non-Windows systems ;-))

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki