[ntp:questions] OT: high-accuracy atomic clock to be attached outside of the International Space Station

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Tue Dec 15 20:40:19 UTC 2009

unruh wrote:
> They have high accuracy atomic clocks orbiting up there already (GPS,
> Galileo,...) What is significant about this?

Firstly, the linked press release talks about certain physics experiments which can presumably only be carried out in orbit and which require highly accurate clocks.

Secondly though, is the ISS able to receive GPS signals in order to remove the need for its own high-accuracy clock? Assuming that the accuracy that results would still be good enough? I'm asking because I wouldn't expect GPS/Galileo/GLONASS to have been designed with in-orbit receivers in mind.

Jan