[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.6 Released

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Dec 19 04:57:23 UTC 2009

>>> In article <0oppv6-s2s.ln1 at gateway.py.meinberg.de>, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> writes:

Martin> What I've disliked is that the announcement of 4.2.6 emphasizes the
Martin> latest security fix only, which is also in 4.2.4p8.

Agreed, and I was massively time-crunched and didn't have time to do it.

I will work on updating it.

Martin> There should be a simple summary of basic changes in 4.2.6 compared
Martin> to 4.2.4, which are important for the default user, e.g. (from
Martin> memory):

Martin> - the default logging mode does not include messages when the system
Martin> time has been stepped, or which source is selected as sys peer

Martin> - even if logging is explicitely configured to include this
Martin> information, the resulting messages are not really human-readable

Martin> - leap second handling has been changed such that a leap second
Martin> announcement is valid is accepted only if a majority of the upstream
Martin> sources provide the announcement

Martin> - evaluation of a leap second file does not depend anymore on having
Martin> autokey enabled, and IIRC the default location of the file has
Martin> changed

Martin> - IIRC there have been changes to autokey which may prevent autokey
Martin> interactions of 4.2.6 nodes with 4.2.4 nodes

Basically, it's every interesting change that is in the 4.2.5 portion of the
ChangeLog.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!