[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP monitor, silly question

G8KBV g8kbv at nospam-uko2.co.uk
Sun Dec 20 00:32:25 UTC 2009

Hi All..

A silly question if I may, and yes I've been poking arround the Meinberg
website and forum for hours, and can't find the answer.  Likewise the
(non existant) help within the program, though I'm *sure* I've seen text
on this somewhere, but can't find it at the moment.

Re the status column in the 'NTP Status' tab.

I think a * means that this server is being used as the reference.
+ signals a posible candidate for use as a reference.
- = will not be used (for whatever reason)

But what does 'o' mean?

I have now successfully (I think) got the local NTP server program
ticking along in sympathy with a GPS receiver with PPS, but though the
address 127.127.20.2 shows with a '*' (and is coloured green)
The 'Server' PPS(2) shows with the 'o' status, and though green in
colour, I cannot find out what that status flag means.

Where have I forgotten to look?  As I can find little meeningful help on
what the various parts of Meinberg's monitor program actualy mean, in
sufficient (and not OTT) detail for the faded befuddled grey cell.

The "Application Log" shows:-
Using user-mode PPS timestamp for GPS_NMEA(2)  Not that I think it'll
make any significant difference, but I thought I'd set all this up so
that the PPS thing would run in Kernel mode, but obviously not.

What I've got is this in the NTP status tab page...

State	Remote		Refid		Stratum	Type		When	Poll
	Reach	Delay	Offset	Jitter

*	127.127.20.2	GPS		0	Local clock	9	16	377
	0.000	0.089	0.006

o	PPS(2)		PPS		0	Local clock	8	16	377
	0.000	0.124	0.004

+	83.170.75.28	130.88.200.6	3	Unicast server	1439	1024
	376	22.333	2.644	1.013

-	82.219.4.31	195.66.241.3	2	Unicast server	302	1024
	377	27.919	4.023	0.960

+	213.130.44.252	192.93.2.20	2	Unicast server	271
	1024	377	20.736	1.023	1.408

Yes, the mailer wrapped it all, but hope someone can understand it and
say if it's good/bad or ???

Preliminary results are a *HUGE* improvement over using Wan based
servers, but the system is still settling, and the GPS RX is still
indoors! (high up and seemingly happy, but not as good a sky view as
it'll be when eventualy sited outside.)

Best Regards.

Dave Baxter.