[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP monitor, silly question

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Sun Dec 20 08:44:15 UTC 2009

"Harlan Stenn" <stenn at ntp.org> wrote in message
news:ywn9skb612pt.fsf at ntp1.isc.org...
> Does http://support.ntp.org/Support/TroubleshootingNTP#Section_9.4. have
> the
> information you are looking for?

That's an excellent start, Harlan, but it leaves me with a little
confusion....

  * the source you are synchronized to (syspeer)

  o the PPS source if your ntpd (ppspeer, only if you have a PPS capable
system and refclock)

There may be an implication here that you only have PPS if you see the "o"
tally code.  Now on both a FreeBSD system, and my Windows systems, I get
PPS through the GPS/NMEA driver directly, /without/ the "o" tally code
showing at all.  On the Windows systems, I only get the "o" tally code
when I add an updated serial port driver, which allows kernel-mode rather
than user-mode timestamping of the serial port transitions.  When that
driver, and a type 22 ref-clock, are in use, I do get the "o", and I do
see a lower jitter.

So my point is that tally-code "*" can, depending on the clock source of
course, also mean that you have a PPS source.

It's a little confusing, I think.  Would you agree?

Cheers,
David