[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP monitor, silly question

G8KBV g8kbv at nospam-uko2.co.uk
Mon Dec 21 13:43:07 UTC 2009

In article <ByJXm.17444$Ym4.4948 at text.news.virginmedia.com>, david-
taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid says...
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Serial]
> "ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,52,\
>   00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,73,00,65,00,72,00,69,00,61,00,6c,00,\
>   70,00,70,00,73,00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00

Oh well...

That didn't change anything either, other than the registry setting type
is now 'REG_EXPAND_SZ' like yours, the com port properties still show
the original MS serial.sys file as the driver, and NTPD is still
resolutely using usermode PPS timestamps as a result.

(Yes, I did reboot the thing.)

The next step could be to swap the contents of the original serial.sys
and serialpps.sys files, if it insists on loading the former, I'll try
force feeding it again, but the last time I tried that (in error) I got
into a black screen/reboot loop...   So, I need to get the physical
situation here again such that I can swap hard drives about to restore
the file if that comes back.

Does anyone know of other reasons why a Win2000 system will not accept
and act on these changes?   I'm using COM2 for the GPS, nothing is using
COM1 (at the mo') & there are no other COM (virtual or otherwise) ports
on this box (a Compaq Deskpro EN small form factor desktop.)

The faded grey cell is somewhat frazzled again, so all that can wait a
while, as Faros *Needs* this thing right now, as even as it is, it is
just sooooo much better than the WAN service at this time, currently
variable and anything up to 300ms or more latency to the "nearest" NTP
servers out there!

I think I need to lie down in a dark room for a while.

73.

Dave Baxter.