[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP monitor, silly question

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Mon Dec 21 14:54:30 UTC 2009

"G8KBV" <g8kbv at nospam-uko2.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MPG.2599839da78d9afe989690 at news.demon.co.uk...
[]
> Thanks for the reg file, I'll try it.

Noted on your results.

> I'm running on Win2000 Pro, not XP btw.  (though they are similar behind
> the shiny bits.)   I don't think there is any driver signing issues in
> 2k, but I could be wrong.  Anyone else know?
>
> Cheers David.
>
> Dave Baxter.

Ah, I had forgotten you had Windows 2000.  Let me see what the settings
are I have there....

Yes, the Atom driver shows as working ("o" tally code).

The environment variable is set:
  PPSAPI_DLLS=E:\Program Files\NTP\PPS\serialpps-ppsapi-provider.dll

The ImagePath registry entry /is/ REG_EXPAND_SZ, and set to:
  System32\DRIVERS\serialpps.sys

The two files there are:
  19/06/2003  12:05               62,736 serial.sys
  01/03/2009  22:07               82,432 serialpps.sys

COM1 shows as having two drivers: serenum.sys and serial.sys
COM2 shows as having two drivers: serenum.sys and serial.sys

So the new driver /doesn't/ show - just like your system.  Looking at the
event log for the most recent start, it shows "User-mode timestamps".

So are we in exactly the same state?  Use-mode timestamps, but the Atom
PPS driver still showing as locked with the "o" tally code?

Looking at the Application Event log, there is no entry for "kernel", and
that's since 15-May-2009.  So it seems that Windows 2000 doesn't support
the Kernel-mode driver, or that different steps are required to replace
the driver on that OS.  I wonder whether Dave Hart has tried this - I know
he didn't have Windows 2000 at one point.

73,
David