[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP monitor, silly question

G8KBV g8kbv at nospam-uko2.co.uk
Mon Dec 21 21:12:11 UTC 2009

In article <G_LXm.17498$Ym4.4777 at text.news.virginmedia.com>, david-
taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid says...

> "G8KBV" <g8kbv at nospam-uko2.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:MPG.2599839da78d9afe989690 at news.demon.co.uk...
> []
> > Thanks for the reg file, I'll try it.
>
> Noted on your results.
>
> > I'm running on Win2000 Pro, not XP btw.  (though they are similar behind
> > the shiny bits.)   I don't think there is any driver signing issues in
> > 2k, but I could be wrong.  Anyone else know?
> >
> > Cheers David.
> >
> > Dave Baxter.
>
> Ah, I had forgotten you had Windows 2000.  Let me see what the settings
> are I have there....
>
> Yes, the Atom driver shows as working ("o" tally code).
>
> The environment variable is set:
>   PPSAPI_DLLS=E:\Program Files\NTP\PPS\serialpps-ppsapi-provider.dll
>
> The ImagePath registry entry /is/ REG_EXPAND_SZ, and set to:
>   System32\DRIVERS\serialpps.sys
>
> The two files there are:
>   19/06/2003  12:05               62,736 serial.sys
>   01/03/2009  22:07               82,432 serialpps.sys
>
> COM1 shows as having two drivers: serenum.sys and serial.sys
> COM2 shows as having two drivers: serenum.sys and serial.sys
>
> So the new driver /doesn't/ show - just like your system.  Looking at the
> event log for the most recent start, it shows "User-mode timestamps".
>
> So are we in exactly the same state?  Use-mode timestamps, but the Atom
> PPS driver still showing as locked with the "o" tally code?
>
> Looking at the Application Event log, there is no entry for "kernel", and
> that's since 15-May-2009.  So it seems that Windows 2000 doesn't support
> the Kernel-mode driver, or that different steps are required to replace
> the driver on that OS.  I wonder whether Dave Hart has tried this - I know
> he didn't have Windows 2000 at one point.
>
> 73,
> David

Phew!...

So it looks like it is working at it's best anyway, excelent.

I can (as a small time programmer with Delphi) appreciate the complexity
of all this, in particular in regards to what messages, status values,
flags etc are presented to the user.

I'll leave it as it is then for now at least, as I've just been called
upon to go provide transport and driver (my other toy and me) to relieve
others who are keeping a vilage alive since they lost water, gas and
electricity, so I'd better get my kit sorted out for an early dark
start, for some 12 hours plus volunteer work.   Eu working time
directives do not apply!  <G>

Oh yes, just checked, we're down to 5uS offset, and 8uS jitter, somewhat
better than 'net based synchronisation!  ;-)

Thanks All.

Dave Baxter.